Start your day with a delicious traditional Mexican breakfast: chilaquiles. This easy recipe is an excellent option to vary your typical mornings and help you start your day.
What ingredients will you need?
- 12 corn tortillas sliced in triangular shape.
- 3 spoons of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of sliced onion
- 1 ½ cup of green or red sauce (see instructions below)
- 1 shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- 1 ½ cup of sour cream
For the sauce:
- 2 red or green tomatoes chopped in four. (Choose thecolor of your liking)
- 3 serrano peppers
- ¼ cup of onions
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- ¼ cup of water
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the tortillas with the chopped onions; be careful not to burn them.
- When they are ready, place them on a separate plate.
Time to make the sauce…
- Add to the frying pan the sliced tomatoes, the serrano peppers, the onions, and the garlic. Season it with salt and pepper. Once you see they are cooked, blend the mix with water.
- Return the corn tortilla chips and the mix to the pan. Add the shredded chicken and mix it well; cook it over low heat for five more minutes.
- Serve it with sour cream and shredded cheese.
Tip: for more flavor you can add slices of avocado and chopped cilantro.